Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Knitting: Simple sweater, my @$$

This project took a  l   o   n   g   time to finish. I believe the name of the pattern is "fundamental sweater". And I guess I took fundamental to mean basic or simple because, hey, there isn't much fancy stuff to this sweater. But I could not get this thing to come together. The front and back were okay but the arms. Oy vey. I knit them, ripped one out. Knit it again. Repeat. It was awful. If it hadn't been for the price tag of that very awesome yarn, I might have scrapped the whole thing. But could you ever really throw away Madelinetosh yarn? I think not.

I sucked it up (it being my pride) and sent the completed pieces to my mom to sew together for me. I knew I had one sleeve that was off, I just didn't know what I was doing wrong to continue to get the same weird thing every time I ripped it out to knit it again. Mom is most excellent, though. Not only did she fix it and sew it together for me, she complimented my "beautiful" and "even" stitches, and noted how oddly the pattern was written. Aw shucks, mom. Thanks. So now Hen can finally wear the dang sweater. Perhaps not for as long as I would have liked had I finished it a year ago when I started - kids grow, who knew? - but I'll see it gets worn enough to make all that trouble worth it. Please note, I included the back shot because how awesome is that bed head?




7 comments:

Rachele said...

It truly looks fabulous.

For finding truly simple patterns, you can check ravelry ratings. I look at how hard people rate it and how many projects for a pattern. I also sort all the projects for that pattern by the "most helpful" choice and read the top project notes. It will tell you about anything tricky.

Christie said...

Thanks! The knitting wasn't too bad, although I missed switching to a different needle size since it didn't specifically tell me to. (My mom explained the ribbing is typically done with one size and the rest of the item in another. I didn't even think about it.) I had two issues - binding off the arm - for some reason the second one was different from the first even though I (thought I) was doing the same thing. And sewing the pieces together, shoulders were fine, arms were not. Basically, arms and me don't get along. Also, I know and use ratings but this one didn't have any.

Rachele said...

A pattern without ratings? That's a warning sign :)

I still think it's fabulous. Hope to see it in person one day!

Darren said...

Does this mean Henry can expect sweater vests in his future?

Christie said...

D - Yes. I just bought the yarn (on sale!) for the next project for him.

Rachele - Normally, I'd think so, too, but she is the author of the book with the wiggly worm scarf and I've had good luck with most of her other patterns.

betty said...

The finished sweater looks great on Henry. I especially like the color.

For the record, I've never used Madelinetosh yarns -- they are way too pricey for me!

Dr. A said...

Love it! Based on the 5 sweaters I've done so far, all ill-ly sized, I will only do kids sweaters all-in-one-top-down-no-sewing-at-the-end kind of patterns. However, I've only done a few so I'm a chicken. And I know I will NEVER do an adult sized sweater unless I have a 3 or 5 free years. Great job, Christie!