Sunday, November 23, 2014

Book fifty-seven: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

This book is amazing. There is something loveable about A.J. Fikry, despite his intolerable behavior towards pretty much every person he meets. Each chapter begins with a book description. (Whether intended or not, this just makes you want to read a whole bunch of other books.) A.J. owns a bookstore but he lost his wife. When she died, she took the best of him. What's left is a heavy drinking almost anti-social jaded person who no longer cares if he lives or dies. Until, of course, something happens that changes him for the better. 

This heartfelt story is about redemption and love and opening oneself to life's crazy experiences. I laughed out loud and cried and felt so fortunate to be literate so I could enjoy every word on every page.
"Love you," she says.
"You're clearly responding to the power of a cappella." --63
"He wants Maya to read literary picture books if such a thing exists. And preferably modern ones. Nothing with princesses. It turns out that these works most definitely do exist. One night, he find himself saying, "As a form, the picture book has a similar elegance to the short story. Do you know what I mean, Maya?" --71
"Think quick," he says.
"What?" she says as she turns. The jewelry box hits her smack in the middle of the forehead. "Ow. What the fuck, A.J.?"
"I was trying to get you not to leave. I thought you'd catch it. I'm sorry." He goes over to her and kisses her on the head.
"You threw a little high."
"You're taller than me. I sometimes overestimate by how much." --154
"Do you think I should really have this surgery?"
Amelia rolls her eye. "Yes, I do. Number one, it's happening in twenty minutes, so we probably couldn't get our money back anyway. And number two, you've had your head shaved, and you look like a terrorist. I don't see what the point is in turning back now," Amelia says. --243 

57 down plus as many as I can get until the end of the year. Perhaps 60?

No comments: