Sunday, November 30, 2014

Shine a Light on Lung Cancer 2014

I think the name of this organization is far too nice. I'd have gone with something like Shove a Foot up Lung Cancer's Ass or Tell Lung Cancer to Sit on a Tack but that's just me. Dan and Leah's original Shine a Light event earlier this month had to be postponed because Dan was at the hospital. So, tonight they hosted their Shine the Light on Lung Cancer event for friends and family to help spread the word.

Hen and I walked over to Sellwood Riverfront Park. Hen carried two fire sticks and I carried a pine-scented candle and my camera. It was dark and extremely cold but we live close and I was relatively sure getting a decent shot wouldn't take too long. On the walk over I explained to Hen what we were doing. Not because I wanted to scare Hen with the horrors of cancer but because I hope moments like this will help him understand what it means to be supportive and have empathy for others.

The deserted park, the creaky dock, the calm water. One candle burned at the end of the dock. The blurred city lights were beautiful at night. This candle is for our friends.


No comments: