Friday, April 06, 2012

Book twelve: The Litigators by John Grisham

Ah, Grisham. This book was a blast to read. I read all night long so I could keep finding out what happened next. I told myself at the end of each chapter that it was getting late and that I really should put the book up and grab some sleep but then I'd get to the end of the chapter and keep on reading. I love legal pulp fiction.

David Zinc is a Harvard educated, highly paid, overworked, and unappreciated attorney at a fancy downtown law firm. On his way to work one morning, he experiences a breakdown of sorts and literally runs from the building. By the end of the day he is asking for a job at a two-man firm where the attorneys earn their meager living chasing ambulances and hustling clients who come in the door looking for quickie divorces. When a mass tort is brought to the firm, the three attorneys are seduced by the potential settlement. (A 40% take of millions isn't bad, right?)

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes Grisham or to anyone looking for a quick and enjoyable read whilst on vacation.

12 down plus 40 to go.


1 comment:

Ceska said...

I have loved Grisham books for a long time now, but I found his last few novels to be lacking something. This one, however, is like the Grisham of old - fun to read, kept me guessing, and brought to life the world of law. This is one I will definitely enjoy re-reading someday, and will keep my fingers crossed that it is made into a movie!