Sunday, July 01, 2012

Book nineteen: Savages by Shirley Conran

A group of executive wives are left to fend for themselves on an island in the grips of a government regime change. Their husbands are murdered and outside forces want them dead. With cannibals, hostile natives, corrupt officials, and Mother Nature working against them, they manage to survive. What I found most interesting was how the language has changed in the past twenty plus years. It's been a long time since I read a book in which women are repeatedly called "stupid bitches". Perhaps I am reading too much feminist literature? Anyway, if anything, I liken reading this book to watching a horror flick. With any luck, I'll retain some small nugget of wisdom I will be able to use should I ever find myself stranded on an island with hostile natives who want to eat my flesh. 19 down plus 33 to go.

No comments: