Thursday, September 06, 2007

No sleep for the pregnant

The R.A. has decided there will be no sleep for me tonight. Instead I'll occasionally stare at my lopsided belly where my lopsided baby is shifting around like those Mexican jumping beans I remember from my childhood while I read the NY Times. Here's a glimpse of what the paper has to offer at 2:09 in the A.M. on Thursday, September 6, 2007.
  • Pavarotti is dead, having lost his battle with pancreatic cancer.
  • Philanthropists get big tax breaks for giving large sums of money. (The nation's tax system offers the wealthy better tax breaks for charitable giving than it does the average taxpayer.)
  • Rush Holt has drafted a bill to make electronic voting more reliable and less prone to fraud. It's missing one important thing, though, a ban on touch-screen voting machines.
  • Apple cuts the iPhone price.
  • Doctors link a man's illness to his microwave popcorn habit.
  • NBC strikes a deal to sell shows on Amazon. (The greedy bastards decided not to renew their contract with iTunes because they want more control over pricing. I'll pay a $1.99 (iTunes current price for t.v. shows) for a show that I can easily and quickly download from iTunes but I'll be damned if I'm going to shell out an outrageous $3.99-$4.99 for an episode that is aired on t.v. for free using a service that is slow and unresponsive.)
  • Larry Craig might not resign. Fight the good fight, my Republican friend.
(Reading interrupted by Darr kicking off his covers and accidentally burying Ellie MacPherson with the blankets. Must save cat. Okay, back to the...)
  • Texas tycoon who broke the law by paying millions in kickbacks to Saddam Hussein's government to gain access to Iraq's oil.
  • School cafeterias are shooting for a healthy menu, doing crazy things like banning fryers.
  • Common food additives raise hyperactivity in kids, according to a study released today.
  • To remember something, a cat has to do, rather than see. A cat uses "diverse neural pathways to remember different events." (I always knew cats were cool.)
Seriously, the kid is moving around in here. It looks like this (fast forward to 00:58 if you're in a hurry) and feels incredibly weird.

No comments: