Saturday, November 10, 2007

Stack-O-Lee

It might be time to change the music I listen to whilst motoring in Sophie with the kid. While the rousing rendition of "Alice Mae" Samuel L. Jackson sings in Black Snake Moan is most excellent to groove to and served as a calming song for Henry when we were on our way back from my doctor's appointment, his equally awesome version of "Stack-O-Lee" is probably not considered appropriate for kids. There are several words in it that we'd rather not be part of Henry's vocab, at least not when he's first learning the language. Consider the reaction of the daycare provider if he starts belting out this tune at the age of two.

This here a song from back in the day
Nineteen hundred and sixty two
My woman left my black ass out in the cold
I said "baby why you leavin?" she said "our love done gone cold."
Well I waded thru water, and I waded thru mud
'Till I came to this place they called the bucket of blood

You know that bartender gave me a dirty look and a dirty glass
I said "Hey, mother fucker, do you know who I am?"
He said "hell no nigga, I don't give a goddamn"

I reached down in my pocket, and pulled out my shiny .44
Shot that motherfucker twice, he hit the goddamn floor

'bout that time you could've heard the drop of a pin
that's when that bad motherfucker billy lyons walked in

'bout that time a pimp eased up and turned out the lights
that's when I had billy lyons dead in my sights
when the lights come back on, ol' billy's gone to rest
I put nine of my bullets in his mother fucking chest.

No comments: