Sunday, September 19, 2010

OMG, he said what?!

Tea Party candidates are all over the place. I tend to not agree with their platform but I also don't believe in censorship. Still, I'm often flabbergasted when I hear some of the vitriol they spew (and, yes, I know you can find inappropriate crazy talk like this from almost anyone). I suppose it's possible that the latest from Delaware's Glen Urquhart* is taken out of context but I can't imagine what context it could be in to make this statement okay, and it still doesn't change the fact that it is utterly false:
"Do you know, where does this phrase 'separation of church and state' come from? It was not in Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists. ... The exact phrase 'separation of Church and state' came out of Adolf Hitler's mouth, that's where it comes from. So the next time your liberal friends talk about the separation of Church and State ask them why they're Nazis."
Admittedly, my history is a bit rusty but here's the wording I found from Jefferson's letter:
"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law regarding an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."
And just to nail home the point, Thomas Jefferson lived from April 13, 1743 to July 4, 1826 and Adolf Hitler lived from April 20, 1889 to April 30, 1945. You tell me who coined the phrase.

*Oh, yeah, this guy just won the primary. Wtf?

1 comment:

Abcdpdx said...

yeah, crazy talk comes from all directions, but the Tea Party's really cornering the market these days.