Monday, October 11, 2010

Pumpkin soup with sage

Otherwise known as the weirdest food Henry has tried to date. After much needling of the "mama, can you cook the pumpkin" kind, I decided to attempt this recipe. Of course, I missed the disclaimer about which type of pumpkin to use at the beginning of the recipe, a common field pumpkin was exactly the type of pumpkin I had to work with. Doh. Did that stop me? No, it did not. I can't imagine, other than the increased time it took to cook the pumpkin, there being a huge difference in taste, although I had thought maybe the texture would be a bit unpleasant. You know, those common pumpkins. So stringy. But I needn't have worried. The soup was good. I might even consider making it again but I'd decrease the amount of onion and add bacon. Bacon would work really well in this soup. Bacon makes everything better. Henry seemed a bit overwhelmed by the prospect of eating pumpkin soup but he did taste the soup. And I have to congratulate him for that.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Our good friends are famous for their pumpkin curry soup, which I finally tried after years of (not so) subtly avoiding. To my shock, it was so extremely delicious. Definitely one of my favorite soups ever.