Wednesday, January 02, 2013

The thing that was a big part of my day today


Some of you should really be hearing this from me directly (sorry, Sis), but I'm tired as shit and just want to get this said.  So here goes:

I had a heart attack.  Quite a good one actually:  100% blockage of the left anterior descending artery.  I think the medical term for this artery is "one of the important ones".

Regular readers will recall that I'm really not terribly old.  And because I'm an outlier the doctors are a little worried and will be looking for root cause.

[Outside my predilection for eating four donuts in a single sitting(*), using bacon grease as cooking fat(*) and eating, pretty much weekly a "Ranch Benedict"(*).  Certain long-time friends of the condo might recall referring to this as a "lipitor lunch".  Still cracks me up.]

Anyway, an upside of being a relative spring chicken in cardiac intensive care is that my recovery is coming well along.  Nobody is ever out of the woods, but I'm feeling good -- and if I may say so -- looking good.  Must get one of these gowns for the office.  Fetching.

Even if you really want to see how awesome I look, please resist.  No visitors please.  I'll be home Friday or at the wekend.  No skiing for a couple of weeks. Pout.

So, for for the morbidly interested, here's what happened:

  • Had a good, aggressive ski day yesterday.  Lots of work.  Stopped and had a smothered burrito(*) and a beer(+) on the way home.
  • Woke up for work this morning and felt fine.  I have been tired lately, but also sleeping poorly.  So, no symptoms, not even in retrospect.
  • 8:20, Got on the bike, after a few hundred yards, started feeling really bad.
  • Lungs hurt & Chest tight.  My whole upper body is sore.

  • I explain the first b/c I've just pulled a bunch of 30 degree air into my lungs.  I've overdressed and that can happen.
  • I explain the the latter b/c I've had a hard ski day.  One can get sore while skiing.  It's a thing.
  • Note that I do not dismiss a heart attack.  It never crosses my mind.
  • At about the half way point, I'm still hurting, but the pain has changed some.  So I ask myself: what does left arm pain and a compressed chest mean?
  • Yeah, NOW it dawns on me.  Still, I am not convinced.  No symptoms.  I'm 40.

  • I ride for a little bit more.
  • Then I start to panic.
  • I'm sweating, I have nausea and my fingers are prickly.  And new places hurt.
  • I tell myself this is b/c of the panic.  Yes.  I do.

  • I am still riding.  Convinced that if it is a real problem, I'm best dropping on the street, and not on this empty bike path.  It's cold this morning, and not many people.
  • Everything still hurts.  Especially my friction' arm.
  • I get to OMSI and stop and rest.  Yes folks, I biked four miles while having a heart attack. Equal parts hard and stupid. Well, maybe not equal parts.
  • The chest pain goes away after about 10 min.
  • I ride to work. The arm hurts like a bitch, but I change and get coffee and a banana.

  • I start my day.  Can't focus.  Arm hurts.
  • I call Christie.  She tells me to call Sellwood Medical.  They tell me to have an aspirin and go to the ER now.
  • Christie comes and gets me and we head to OHSU.

  • 10:30, walk into the ED.  No chest pain.
  • 10:50, in surgery.

I got a stent.



(*) This will have to change.
(+) This is not have to change. One can hope.


22 comments:

Christie said...

Note: Christie did not panic, ya'll.

Rachele said...

holy shit. so sorry to hear about this.

Amber said...

Wait. What?? Holy shit. Christie, I'm going to call later--we can take Henry today. Surely some kid-free time is in order?

Ben Jansen said...

Dang. Glad you're getting better.

Michael Chen said...

100% blockage? Man, you must really love those bacons. Take care and speedy recovery!

B. E. Busby said...

Dude! Recover well and quickly. Just check and make sure your newly installed blowout preventer (*) wasn't made by Halliburton.

(*) "BOP," a/k/a stent

Robert Huffman said...

So does this mean no happy hour today?

Seriously, though, take it easy. When I get better you and I can ski Daisy together.

betty said...

Oh gosh, Darren, I wish you a full recovery, and I almost feed bad for making fun of those "lipitor lunches".

Daniel said...

Get well. So glad you made it through the crisis.

Dr. A said...

(a) holy shitballs
(b) glad you got prompt medical attention (all things considered)
(c) glad the recovery is going well
(d) glad glad glad you're OK.

Darren said...

Good job sweetie!

Darren said...

Well. It does suck, for sure.

Darren said...

Henry was immediately known and loved on the ICU. Hard to miss a five year old running around with an Ankylosaurus in each hand.

Darren said...

Yeah, I know right? You know I'm blaming this on maven.

Darren said...

I do. And the donuts. And the country gravy. And the ... sigh.

Darren said...

Yeah, so you know how they get this thing up in your heart, right? It's crazy.

Darren said...

I am so there; and maybe can do Cascade to HRM in more than 5 min!

Darren said...

I continued to call that my Lipitor Lunch, after all that time. You know I had one twice a month for over ten years, right? Pretty sure that one is now twice-yearly -- now that *I actually take Lipitor*. No shit.

Darren said...

Hello Dan C! Apparently, biking is good for your heart. Doctor says my fondness for climbs when I'm really pushing helped build new vessels (really!) which means I could survive a block of the LAD. He did mention I should not do that for a little bit yet. Sounds like a good idea.

Darren said...

In all seriousness, I'm glad I get the chance to respond to your comment. It's a crazy thing.

Abcdpdx said...

but 40 is the new 21!

geez louise. last time I slack off on blog reading.

Leah said...

I have to agree with ABCDPDX. I just sat down to catch up on a whopping 30 blog posts and found this one. Holy moly. We are so glad you are OK. Christ. Love you guys. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. I know people say that all the time and you say Oh Thanks. But I mean it so you should probably think of something. xoxo